Anti-racism refers to a form of action against racial hatred, bias, systemic racism, and the oppression of marginalized groups. Being antiracist is based on conscious efforts and deliberate actions to provide equitable opportunities and outcomes for all people on an individual and systemic level. People can act against racism by acknowledging personal privileges, confronting structures and acts of racial discrimination, and working to change personal racial biases.
The resources below are here to help deepen our anti-racism understanding and work toward building and sustaining a more humane community because of, rather than in spite of, our differences.
All sources of information contain some degree of bias. We encourage you to read, analyze and digest with a critical lens. Learning is not a solo endeavor but a joint accomplishment, so share your new knowledge with others, listen to understand their perspectives, and seek knowledge transfer opportunities.
- Daring Discussions Toolkit | Margaret Wheatley
- How Did We Get Here? by Gillian B. White | The Atlantic (June 16, 2020)
- Who Gets to Be Afraid in America? by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi | Atlantic (May 12, 2020)
- How White Managers Can Respond to Anti-Black Violence by Michael W. Kraus (Yale University, June 1, 2020)
- For Our White Friends Desiring to Be Allies by Courtney Ariel |Sojo.net (August 16, 2017)
- My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant by Jose Antonio Vargas | NYT Mag (June 22, 2011)
- Is Your Company Actually Fighting Racism, or Just Talking About It? By Kira Hudson Banks and Richard Harvey | HBR (June 11, 2020)
- Tips for Discussing Racial Injustice in the Workplace Helpful communication models for discussing microaggressions. (SHRM, June 2020)
- The 1619 Project (all the articles) | The New York Times Magazine
- Getting Over Your Fear of Talking About Diversity by Daisy Auger-Dominguez | HBR, November 2019)
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh
- Taking Steps to Eliminate Racism in the Workplace The countervailing force of racism often undermines efforts to build diverse and inclusive workplaces. (SHRM, October 2018)
- America’s Racial Contract Is Killing Us by Adam Serwer | Atlantic (May 8, 2020)
- Code of Ethics for White Anti-Racists by Tim Wise | Medium.com (June 16, 2020)
- How to Talk to Your Children About Protests and Racism by Sandee LaMotte | CNN.com (June 2, 2020)
- How to Turn White Privilege Into Antiracist Allyship | WGPH.org (June 5, 2020)
- The Intersectionality Wars by Jane Coaston | Vox (May 28, 2019
- Hiring Discrimination Against Black Americans Hasn’t Declined in 25 Years A meta-analysis of job callback rates (HBR, October 2017)
- People Suffer at Work When They Can’t Discuss the Racial Bias They Face Outside of It | (HBR, July 2017)
- U.S. Businesses Must Take Meaningful Action Against Racism What Leaders can do today | (HBR, June 2020)
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups by Daniel Doyle | Retrieved from http://danielcoyle.com/excerpt- culture-code/ (2018)