10.3.11. CLOSING A SERVICE CENTER
A center will be closed if there is no income generated due to lack of demand, the center becomes too inefficient or costly to operate, or the center department initiates a request to terminate services.
Before closing, the service department ensures the following:
- Salary appointments to the center account are removed
- Expenses are disencumbered
- Institutional loans are fully paid
- Federal Costing is contacted to discuss how to remedy remaining surplus or deficit balances.
- If equipment used in the center is no longer needed by the department, refer to policies outlined in HBP, part 16, Inventory Control and Property Management.
In addition, the following policies apply to equipment being sold or transferred:
- Proceeds from equipment sold or transferred to another university department or state agency must be credited back to the original account used to purchase equipment.
- Equipment purchased with center funds can be credited back to a Designated Funds account.
To close a center, the center department must send an email to Federal Costing and include the following information:
- Name of center
- Reason for terminating services
- Effective date for termination of services
Part 10. Costing - Table of Contents