A. Federal Costing
The Federal Costing section of the Office of Accounting and Financial Management works to ensure that centers are operated, monitored, and accounted for in accordance with all applicable university policies, procedures, state and federal guidelines, and sound costing principles. Federal Costing performs the following functions:
- Provides rate-setting guidance.
- Approves the establishment of new centers.
- Collaborates with the Budget Office annually to perform budget reviews during the spring budget submission.
- Reviews monthly and/or fiscal year end (FYE) balances
- Responds to open record requests and audit requests from by internal, state, or federal entities.
B. Service Center Management
The center manager works to ensure that centers are operated, monitored, and accounted for in accordance with all applicable university policies, procedures, state and federal guidelines, and with sound costing principles. The center manager performs the following functions:
- Submits a rate review proposal to Federal Costing based on the center type and classification.
- Ensures proposals include approval from the dean or vice president, the department head or chair, and the CSU Business Officer.
- Ensures rates are approved by Federal Costing before they are charged to users.
- Ensures all users are billed in a timely manner and billing activity is reviewed to verify that rates are correctly applied.
- Retains all costs, projections, and any other information used to develop rates to substantiate charges in the event of an audit.
- Requests accounts from Federal Costing as appropriate.
- Ensures rates only include costs directly related to the operation of the center and the service or good the user receives.
- Analyze expenses and income to ensure the center is operating on a break-even basis.
- Notify Federal Costing when it is anticipated that:
- New services or goods will be added.
- Services or goods provided or costs will significantly change.
- The center will no longer be operational.
C. Budget Office
During the budget submission period, Federal Costing performs budget reviews and provides recommendations to the Budget Office.
D. CSU Business Officers
Federal Costing works with CSU Business Officers and center managers to provide a summary of effective balances.
E. Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)
FAR processes new account requests with the necessary object code restrictions as requested by Federal Costing.
F. Payment Information Services
Establish or modify Interdepartmental Transfer formats for centers as requested by Federal Costing, including any required restrictions.
Part 10. Costing - Table of Contents