The Campus Safety and Security Committee brings the university community together on a monthly basis to explore safety issues. The associate vice president for Campus Safety and Security chairs and leads the committee, and the director of Emergency Preparedness serves as co-chair.
The committee’s campus representation is dynamic and includes (but is not limited to) departments such as:
- The Office of the President
- The Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
- Legal Affairs
- The University of Texas at Austin Police Department
- Student Affairs
- Dean of Students
- Human Resource
- University Communications
- University Health Services
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Information Technology Services
- Facilities Services
- Division of Housing and Food Services
- Office of the Registrar
The committee often hosts guest speakers to help this diverse group coordinate and cooperate smoothly on safety efforts. It also provides a forum to discuss current events affecting campus safety and security, and assists with campus-wide communication relating to emergency preparedness planning.
The committee is also instrumental in addressing large-scale safety measures, such as preparing for the possibility of an influenza pandemic and developing university-wide emergency plans. The monthly meetings serve as an opportunity for discussing new communications and reviewing procedures prior to large events.