The lowering of flags to half-staff at campus locations is done, traditionally, upon the death of persons as set forth below.
- Upon the death of a Federal or State official or otherwise at the direction of the President of the United States or the Governor of Texas, the flag of the United States will be lowered to half-staff for the period of mourning defined by the proclamation; the Texas flag must be lowered to half-staff, accordingly. This pertains to flags at all properties of The University of Texas at Austin, including the Erwin Center and Pickle Research Center. [see U.S. Flag Code § 175(m)]
- Upon notification of the death of a current faculty or staff member or a currently-enrolled student, The University of Texas at Austin may honor that person by lowering to half-staff the Texas flag on the Main Mall. (Flags at other university locations are not lowered unless directed by the President of the University.) The flag lowering is directed by the Office of the President upon receipt of an appropriate request from Human Resources or the Dean of Students. An appropriate notation is posted on the plaque located at the base of the flag.
- Individual memorial ceremonies for deceased faculty or staff members are coordinated by their departments. Individual memorial ceremonies for students are coordinated by the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Current or retired faculty or staff members and currently-enrolled students who have passed away during the course of a year are all honored as part of the UT Remembers program. This ceremony is traditionally held on the last class day of the spring semester each year.
- At the discretion of the President of the University, the flags may be lowered to honor the memory of persons with significant relationship to the university.
Policy Date: 05/22/2008
Vice Presidents Council
Current Flag Status
The United States and Texas flag are at half staff as a mark of respect for the memory of Rosalynn Carter until November 29, 2023.